Monday 11 February 2013

Project Cardgame

One thing that always stumps me in my game development is the artwork. I like to think that I can do some pretty cool abstract stuff, and I dabble in graphic design, but drawing characters, creatures, weapons, etc, is something that has always baffled me.

I have a few friends that have done some artwork for me for my games, but my "company" - if I could call it that - certainly isn't big enough to actually hire a graphics artist.

So there are obviously things that really hinder my development, like when I need some artwork that I simply can't do.

For example, there's no way I could do a trading card game like Pokémon, Yu-Gi-Oh, or Magic: The Gathering. After all, the cards are quite dependant on artwork. Ironic because that's exactly what I want to do. I want to make a flash-based trading card game based on the fictional world of Obsidian Island that I created.

Of course I can't do all the artwork myself, or even with a handful of friends by my side. There are simply far too many cards for a small group of people to do. And while my friends and I will try our hardest to do as many as we can, I decided the only way it was going to happen was if I went to the internet for help.

Project Cardgame is what I've named this project for the time being. The idea is that I have a document online with all the cards and a short description of what the card should look like, anyone in the world can find the document, draw a card, e-mail it to me, and be credited with the artwork in the game when it's finished.

If you are interested in helping me with this massive task, or know someone else who might be, click here for more info.

No comments:

Post a Comment