Saturday 11 May 2013

"Where Are You Going To Go?"

Whenever I tell people that next year I'm going on a pilgrimage, they always ask me "Where are you going to go?" and the answer is always the same. I don't know. That's the point, I don't want to know. I don't want to have my entire life from birth to death planned out already for me.

If you've read my entry about freedom; you might know what I'm getting at. People often think when I tell them I want to get away from society that I want to avoid responsibilities, or that I'm scared of those responsibilities. That's not it at all.

And it's not because I don't want to get stuck in a rut and live a mediocre, mundane life. I know I could still fulfil all of society's expectations and still have a fulfilling life, the point is that I don't want to have to fulfil all of society's expectations.

Once I've finished year twelve and gotten my VCE, I'm going to go on a pilgrimage. I don't know where I'll go or how long I'll be, but I know one thing, if I'm going to spend the rest of my life in uni, or working, paying bills and taxes with a house and a car, which is what I'm "meant" to do, then I at least want one year of my life that belongs to me, and not to the world.

I want one year to be free, to not worry about jumping through society's hoops, to not have to pay bills and taxes for things I don't need, to not worry about getting a job to get money so ultimately I can pay to keep working.

And don't get me wrong, I'm not running off into the bush to become a hermit, I'm going to volunteer in shelters, churches, and anywhere where I can do good and help the community. I'll still be contributing to society. Perhaps when I get back from my trip I'll jump through their hoops again, but until then, I'm going to be free.

No comments:

Post a Comment